onsdag 27. februar 2013

Loose pen drawing of old man

This year, I made a new year promise, which was to draw a drawing or paint each day every day to improve my skills. Each day I don`t draw or paint, the deal I have with my self is to give 5 Euro to a poor person as well as put 5 Euro into the piggy bank here at home. So it`s a win-win situation!

In the beginning, I drew very neat and nice pencil drawings. But that takes time. Because I don`t always have the time nor the patience to draw neatly, I started doing very quick pen drawings. I hold the pen loosely at the top of the pen and avoids lifting the pen from the paper while I draw. The result is like the present drawing, and I have to say I am both quite excited as well as surprised by the results! I really like what is coming through my hands in this way. What happens when I hold the pen in this loose way is that I also loose complete control over the line. But that is what makes both the act of drawing this way, as well as the result so enjoing; I don`t know exactly how the result will be, and the line is far, far much more interesting than the neat and "good" pencil drawings I normally would try to achieve.

So, the present portrait is an example of this way of drawing. I made it yesterday evening in a minute or two by having a look at a photo from the newspaper. Other times, I draw a quick drawing of the news reporters while I watch the news on tv.

3 kommentarer:

  1. This is a great drawing. You have definitely found a style that suits you.

    SvarSlett
  2. Thank you, it is exciting to explore different expressions and styles.

    SvarSlett
  3. Hi Sissel:) You should do more of these quick drawings! I really like this one. Surprises are always in little things:) Take care:)

    SvarSlett